Published on April 18th, 20160
Steven Falowski, MD
Fellowship-Trained Functional Neurosurgeon at St. Luke’s University Health Network, Bethlehem and Quakertown, PA
A world-renowned leader in the field of functional neurosurgery, Dr. Steven Falowski continues to put St. Luke’s in the spotlight with the pioneering, leading-edge surgical treatments he provides for patients for neurologic conditions ranging from movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease and essential tremor to epilepsy and chronic pain conditions.
In fact, Dr. Falowski has achieved several impressive ”firsts” during his tenure at St. Luke’s:
- Dr. Falowski was the first and only surgeon in the region to perform deep brain stimulation surgery (DBS). Today, St. Luke’s DBS program ranks among the top 10 percent in the nation in new DBS implants.
- Dr. Falowski was the first surgeon in the region and the second in the country to implant an automatic position adjustment RestoreSensor Neurostimulator for a patient with chronic pain. St. Luke’s was one of just 13 original sites in the country to receive the device following FDA approval in 2011.
- Dr. Falowski and St. Luke’s were one of just 20 hospitals in the country selected by global medical device company St. Jude to participate in Sunburst (Success Using Neuromodulation With Burst), a clinical study of the Prodigy neurostimulator. The study was initiated to evaluate whether the burst stimulation technology can be more effective in managing chronic pain than traditional treatments.
- In a first of its kind undertaking, Dr. Falowski has partnered with Medtronic, the world’s largest medical device company, to provide a live video feed to Medtronic engineers to promote faster and better product development within the field of neuromodulation for patients receiving spinal cord stimulators, dbs stimulators and pain pumps. Through a specialty camera system, Medtronic engineers are able to view live feeds of Dr. Falowski’s surgeries and can ask questions in order to make device enhancements and modifications for the future.
- Dr. Falowski is the first physician in the region and just the second in the nation to surgically implant the Protégé IPG neurostimulator system for a patient suffering from chronic pain. The Protégé is the world’s smallest, longest-lasting rechargeable device to chronic pain and the first neurostimulator in the world to allow software upgrades to its technology.
- In late 2015, Dr. Falowski was the first physician in the national to implant the newest generation of spinal stimulation technology- the ProclaimElite by St. Jude Medical, the only Bluetooth enabled implantable pulse generator that can be controlled by Apple technology to manage stimulation therapy.
- Dr. Falowski was the first surgeon in the world to implant Medtronic’s full-body, MRI-compatible paddle electrode leads for the Restore® neurostimulator system. Approved just recently by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Specify® SureScan® MRI surgical leads allow physicians to offer full-body magnetic resonance imaging for any patient with a Medtronic neurostimulator.
- Dr. Falowski is the first St. Luke’s physician to be appointed to the Neuromodulation Appropriateness Consensus Committee of the International Neuromodulation Society where he has worked to develop expert guidelines on the appropriate use of neurostimulation for pain.
For a consultation with Dr. Falowski, call St. Luke’s Neurosurgical Associates at 484-526-6000.