Published on January 25th, 2019
Save the Date: Inaugural Diabetes Symposium Saturday, March 9
SAVE THE DATE: SATURDAY, MARCH 9
7:30 am – 2 pm
St. Luke’s Center for Diabetes & Endocrinology
Inaugural Diabetes Symposium
Continuing education credits pending
Featuring Keynote Speaker
Om P. Ganda, MD
Joslin Diabetes Center, Boston, MA
101 Founders Way, Bethlehem, PA 18014-1238
A co-investigator in the landmark Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT), completed in 1993, Om P. Ganda, MD, has been engaged in clinical diabetes research for more than four decades. The DCCT demonstrated the importance of glucose control in preventing complications in type 1 diabetes.
Dr. Ganda is now a co-investigator of Epidemiology Of Diabetes Intervention and Complications (EDIC), an ongoing long-term follow-up study, which continues to unravel long-term benefits of optimal glucose control. In addition to his clinical research and teaching, Dr. Ganda directs the Lipid Center at Joslin, where he treats patients with elevated cholesterol and triglycerides.
He is also studying why patients with type 2 diabetes have increased susceptibility to elevated lipid particles and cardiovascular disease. He is a co-investigator of the recently published REDUCE-IT trial, investigating the effects of omega-3 fatty acids on cardiovascular outcomes. Dr. Ganda is also the Chair of the Joslin Clinical Guidelines Committee.
The recipient of the Distinguished Physician Award at the annual New England Chapter of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists meeting in 2016, Dr. Ganda has more than 150 publications in peer-reviewed, high impact journals and has written more than 25 book chapters.
OTHER SPEAKERS WILL INCLUDE:
- Bankim Bhatt, MD, Chief, St. Luke’s Department of Endocrinology
- Thomas Gallagher, DO, Endocrinologist, St. Luke’s Center for Diabetes & Endocrinology
- Bonnie Coyle Ronco, MD, MS, Chair, St. Luke’s Department of Community Health & Preventive Medicine
- Donna Sabol, RN, MSN, CPHQ, Vice President and Chief Quality Officer, St. Luke’s University Health Network
- Robin Gayle, MBA, RD, LDN, CDE, Diabetic Educator, St. Luke’s Center for Diabetes & Endocrinology
Dr. Ganda’s presentation is sponsored by Boehringer-Ingelheim.