Published on April 28th, 20140
Senior Care Surgical Services
Surgery may be a concern for a patient of any age; and often as age increases, concerns and the likelihood of a medical condition requiring surgery increase as well.
A team of senior care providers has designed a comprehensive Surgical Services Program for our senior patients. We will work together to coordinate care and communication and as a result, the surgical process becomes a better experience for our patients before their operation, through their surgery and during their recovery.
On April 1, 2014 a 90-day senior surgical services pilot program was launched at St. Luke’s University Hospital – Bethlehem.
Who is eligible for the pilot program?
- Seniors age 75 and above
- Having elective surgery
- Patients of Orthopaedics and Estes Surgical Associates on PPHP8 and PPHP9
Senior Surgical Services program goals:
- Support our patients by performing the necessary health assessments in the pre-operative stage in order to identify any potential concerns from pre to post surgery
- Make the necessary arrangements and/or adjustments in advance of surgery taking place
- Proceed with surgery as scheduled
Our nurse navigators will follow our surgical patient throughout the process and:
- Perform health assessments
- Trigger next steps from the assessment results (i.e. consultations with nutrition, pharmacy, case management, physician therapy, etc.)
- Schedule necessary consultations
- Communicate the assessment findings and care plan back to surgeon and physician
- Follow up on next steps
- Make post-operative visit to patient
Our patients are our top priority at St. Luke’s and through our program, we are working to provide the highest quality of care, achieve the best surgery outcome and get our patients back to their normal activities as soon as possible.
To learn more, download the flyer.