Published on July 27th, 20150
Special Notice to Providers on Diagnostic and Breast MRI at St. Luke’s University Hospital – Bethlehem
Diagnostic and Breast MRI at St. Luke’s University Hospital – Bethlehem will not be available for three days due to construction.
Due to MRI suite renovations to allow for new state-of-the-art MRI technology from GE Healthcare, diagnostic and breast MRI will not be available at the Bethlehem Campus for a limited period of time. Thank you for your understanding as we continue to make improvements to benefit our patients.
- MRI services at Bethlehem Campus will not be available beginning Friday, July 31, at noon through the morning of Monday, August 3.
- Both inpatients and outpatients who require an emergent MRI exam during this three-day period will be scheduled at another St. Luke’s location.
- We request that you do not hold inpatients over the weekend for scans that are not emergent and can be done on an outpatient basis. Please check with a radiologist to determine immediate needs. Call the Radiologist Hotline at 484-526-4838 to speak with the radiologist on call.
- From August 3 through October 2015, one MRI unit will be in operation at St. Luke’s Bethlehem Campus. To better accommodate our patients and providers, this unit MRI will be available round-the-clock Monday through Friday. Extended hours will still be available on weekends.
- We look forward to having our new Wide-Bore Magnet with Silent Scan Technology available to our patients beginning in October. The technology is soothingly quiet and can be compared to ambient noise.
- Silent Scan turns down the volume during the MRI exam significantly, reducing anxiety and the need for repeat scans.
- The Silent Scan application is whisper quiet for individuals who require head scans. The noise level is 50 percent more quiet than traditional MRI for people who require scans of other parts of the body.
- This MRI offers a wider opening, making it ideal for larger patients and those who are claustrophobic.
- Excellent image quality ensures an accurate diagnosis.
- Also available in October is the new Sentinelle Breast MRI Coil System to provide better positioning during a breast MRI and enhanced comfort for patients.
- Produces high-resolution images customizable to breast size.
- Open access breast positioning provides appropriate coverage of the breast tissue.
- Effective immobilization helps reduce motion artifact to ensure quality imaging.